[bt-devel] Fwd: [sword-devel] Systemwide clucene indexes

Sveinung Kvilhaugsvik sveinung84 at users.sourceforge.net
Tue Aug 18 09:21:46 MST 2009

> BibleTime is now pure Qt (unless I'm
> wrong) so it's not KDE-specific anymore, and people who use it might
> not have KpackageKit or any other KDE app installed, so I don't think
> it would be good to rely on KDE-specific programs.
I posted some patches a while back[1] that used QPackageKit to remove
package managed works. QPackageKit is pure QT. Noting KDE specific
about it. I could do it again on top of the support for checking if a
module location is writable[2] is merged dependeing on the how
interested people are in it. (I agreed[3] to do the "check if
writable" support before trying to add PackageKit support and since
using QPackageKit will depend on that works it's nice to have it in a
state where it won't change to much first)

>> From me additional request would be if Bibletime can hook into
>> Kpackagekit to show which modules are available for system-wide
>> install and optionally install them. Kpackagekit is distro-agnostic
>> and will work in Debian, Ubuntu and Fedora if they will have modules
>> packaged.
The approach I think is best if that were to be implemented would be
to to use QPacakgeKit (to avoid depending on KDE) and show the
packaged modules it in the Bookshelf Manager together with something
that indicated that they are system wide. (Say for example an extra
check box on a work to install it system wide. If a module only is
available from one source disable the check box in a crossed/non
crossed (depending on where the only source is) state. But I think
suggesting to do that would face a lot of opposition. One thing is
adding support for removing the disliked[4] package managed modules.
Another thing is adding support for installing them. ;)

Footnotes:
1. http://www.crosswire.org/pipermail/bt-devel/2009-April/008711.html
2. http://www.crosswire.org/pipermail/bt-devel/2009-July/009031.html
3. http://www.crosswire.org/pipermail/bt-devel/2009-May/008801.html