[bt-devel] Fwd: [sword-devel] Systemwide clucene indexes

Raphaël Pinson raphink at gmail.com
Sat Aug 15 04:15:41 MST 2009

---------- Forwarded message ----------
From: Raphaël Pinson <raphink at gmail.com>
Date: 2009/8/15
Subject: Re: [sword-devel] Systemwide clucene indexes
To: SWORD Developers' Collaboration Forum <sword-devel at crosswire.org>

On Thu, Jul 16, 2009 at 5:59 PM, Dmitrijs
Ledkovs<dmitrij.ledkov at gmail.com> wrote:
> 2009/7/16 Raphaël Pinson <raphink at gmail.com>:
>> Hello,
>>
>> I have a proposal to improve the usability of BibleTime for end users.
>> Currently, when you install modules, whether locally or systemwide,
>> you need to build the indexes before peforming searches. In
>> Debian/Ubuntu, quite a few modules are packaged and shipped as .deb,
>> making them available to all users. I think it would be great if the
>> indexes could be compiled and installed systemwide aswell. From what I
>> see, this would require 2 things :
>>   * that BibleTime search for clucene indexes in /usr/share/foo in
>> addition to ~ ;
>>   * that there exists a CLI tool to generate the indexes from the modules.
>>

>> With these two conditions, packagers could generate the indexes from
>> the modules as they package them, and ship them together for
>> systemwide installation, which would allow all users on the system to
>> benefit from the indexes without building them.
>>

>> Feedback on the idea is welcome :-)
>>

>> Raphaël Pinson

Hi Dmitrijs,

Thank you for your feedback.

> Sure. On the debian/ubuntu side we were getting around to look into
> packaging modules (it is possible they are out-of date)
>
> One request (which was heatedly discussed before) is to show users
> 1) which modules are system-wide and hence need to use Kpackagekit to remove/add
> 2) for user to be able to show / hide those modules

I think this is outiside of the scope of system-wide indexes. While I
agree that it could be nice to allow users to find modules to install
systemwide using a systemwide package manager, I'd have a question
about that: is this the way it is done currently in Ubuntu/Kubuntu
(e.g. for modules in Firefox). BibleTime is now pure Qt (unless I'm
wrong) so it's not KDE-specific anymore, and people who use it might
not have KpackageKit or any other KDE app installed, so I don't think
it would be good to rely on KDE-specific programs. I'd be interested
to know how it's currently done in Ubuntu.