[bt-devel] next steps

Eeli Kaikkonen eekaikko at mail.student.oulu.fi
Mon Nov 24 05:38:04 MST 2008

Quoting Gary Holmlund <gary.holmlund at gmail.com>:

> The Lang page and Desk page should be completed. The display
> page looks pretty good but does not resize a good as it should. I
> had to put a fixed height and width on the  KHTMLPart viewer  so
> that it did not get to tall and wide. It originally was the widget
> making the overall Config dialog to large.
>
> KHTMLView does not work well with a Perferred sizePolicy that lets
> it expand only to fill the available space. It expands and causes the
> containing widget to get large. Some widgets have only a default
> sizeHint() which returns "invalid" for the size. To fix the problem
> a widget needs to be subclassed and add a sizeHint() with a valid
> size. It is not easy to subclass with a KHTMLPart because the
> KHTMLView is not created directly but it obtained from the
> KHTMLPart. I should be able to fix it by putting the KHTMLView
> into a new widget that is just a container for the view. I can then
> subclass this new widget and add the sizeHint(). This is how the
> resizing is working correctly in the CFontChooser.

This is what I meant when I said sizing is maybe the most difficult
thing with Qt widget layouts. I would love to have just an easy
"setDefaultSize()", but no...

If you are going to work with KHTML replacement you should read our
current implementation. The problem with subclassing you mentioned has
been dealt with interestingly. We had hard times debugging some things
because nobody had yet done exactly like this with KDE4 and they had
to change the KHTML code couple of times because of us :)

--Eeli Kaikkonen