[bt-devel] Search dialog changes

Eeli Kaikkonen eekaikko at mail.student.oulu.fi
Mon Nov 17 11:20:08 MST 2008

Martin Gruner wrote:
> Hi Eeli,
>
> I find the current solution confusing. AND adds something between the words, OR
> doesn't and you can use a special syntax there? To be consistent and intuitive
> we probably need to have three modes:
>
> -"all words" (adds AND, removes OR)
> -"some words" (adds OR, removes AND)
> -"free search" (no changes, syntax help)
>
> And it should remember my decision. :D
> An alternative to removing AND/OR in the first modes, you could switch to "free
> search" whenever clucene syntax items were detected.
>
> What do you think?

I, too, am not completely satisfied with the current one. The problem
stems from the default clucene interface (which BTW is not recommended
IIRC - custom user interface using the clucene library API is
recommended instead). Mixing it with a GUI is quite difficult. But your
suggestion sounds quite good. Then we should decide if we remove all
syntax elements (or non-alnum or non-word characters, whatever clucene
ignores when indexing) from the string. Or which elements we should
detect when changing the search type automatically.

Not changing the type automatically would have one advantage: instead of
removing the AND/OR words we possibly could surround them with quotes.
Then the user could search for "and" and "or" without typing quotes. All
other syntax elements should still be removed.

Remembering the selected type is a natural enhancement, I just didn't
want to see the trouble yet before knowing if this is good at all.

--Eeli Kaikkonen