[bt-devel] Search dialog changes

Eeli Kaikkonen eekaikko at mail.student.oulu.fi
Mon Nov 17 15:46:41 MST 2008

Eeli Kaikkonen wrote:
> I, too, am not completely satisfied with the current one. The problem
> stems from the default clucene interface (which BTW is not recommended
> IIRC - custom user interface using the clucene library API is
> recommended instead). Mixing it with a GUI is quite difficult. But your
> suggestion sounds quite good. Then we should decide if we remove all
> syntax elements (or non-alnum or non-word characters, whatever clucene
> ignores when indexing) from the string. Or which elements we should
> detect when changing the search type automatically.
>
> Not changing the type automatically would have one advantage: instead of
> removing the AND/OR words we possibly could surround them with quotes.
> Then the user could search for "and" and "or" without typing quotes. All
> other syntax elements should still be removed.

I implemented that in this way: some syntax characters are removed,
"and" and "or" put into quotes, AND or OR added. The user can use and/or
in the text without the need to automatically change the syntax. The
wildcard characters are kept. If the Full type is selected the string is
kept as is.

Heavy testing is needed! The coder is not a good tester for his code.

> Remembering the selected type is a natural enhancement, I just didn't
> want to see the trouble yet before knowing if this is good at all.

This, and new help dialog, still need implementing.

--Eeli Kaikkonen