[bt-devel] question about drop-down lists

Eeli Kaikkonen eekaikko at mail.student.oulu.fi
Sun Nov 2 02:23:48 MST 2008

Lainaus jdc <jdc.email at gmail.com>:

> Eeli,
> My initial impression is that this is very good.
>
> The up/down buttons work much more intuitively.  They follow the logical
> and visual flow one would expect as if flipping through a book.
> Scrolling up goes toward the beginning and scrolling down goes toward
> the end.  This is very logical and visually correct.  The dropdown lists
> are logical and easy to navigate.

The up/down buttons have been there already and I didn't touch them.
Only dropdown lists are new in 1.7 svn HEAD.

> The only bug I have found so far is the scroll wheel usage of the mouse
> in combination with the up/down buttons.

I have already noticed that and wrote about that in a wiki page. Would
it be more logical if the scrolling direction would be reversed so
that scrolling up would move to the previous item and vice versa? What
do others think? I don't use that feature myself anyways.

> Would it be possible to add the scroll wheel feature to the dropdown
> lists?  I instinctively want to position my mouse over the downdown list
> arrows and use the scroll wheel.  I know I can do the same thing from
> the other up/down buttons.  But, It may be possible to eliminate the
> up/down buttons in favor of using the scroll wheel in combination with
> the dropdown list.

Adding scroll to the dropdown buttons is a good idea and should be
easy enough to implement, if we decide to keep the buttons. If indeed
at the moment only the small center button has the scrolling feature -
I'm away from my computer and can't check - it could as well be
implemented for the whole widget set so that scrolling would work on
top of up/down buttons, too. There's no reason to limit scrolling to
one small button.

If we want to add more configuration options they could be:

- Show/hide dropdown list buttons
- Show/hide scroller buttons
- Show/hide up/down AND scroller buttons

I'm always in favor of finding one simple solution which serves
everybody. BibleTime style is to have only few configuration options.
But because the Bible navigator is the most important widget in a
Bible reader program it wouldn't hurt to have configurability. I'd
like to hear some opinions, especially from Martin.

--Eeli Kaikkonen