[sword-devel] Contributing to sword-tools repo?

Peter Von Kaehne refdoc at gmx.net
Fri Jan 15 03:32:44 MST 2016

> Von: "Matěj Cepl" <mcepl at cepl.eu>

> On 2016-01-15, 06:51 GMT, Peter von Kaehne wrote:
> > My Module makefiles in turn live on the fact that certain scripts are
> > in certain places so that they can pull them in.
>
> Define “certain places”, please? Meaning that the directory
> structure of sword-tools should be preserved, or that the code
> has to stay in SVN forever?

Both. Unless there is a good reason for it to move, making it acceptable that everything relying upon sword-tools' current location needs to get altered.

In essence I am currently the only active contributor to sword-tools - but unlike many other parts of the engine + frontends I am not exactly looking for help. Most tools in sword-tools are fairly low tech, task specific scripts without specific coding standards or anything else really. Many are dormant. The stuff I actively develop and use is confmaker.pl , xreffix.pl and some slowly moving scripts around strongs + crossreferences etc.

av11n.py by Greg is another typical low tech utility script which, when its time comes might need + enhancements, but should not get altered for no good reason as it does what it says on the tin - and that is all it should do right now.

If you want to join that repo, do so. I am sure Troy will happily allow you to contribute and I will be happy too - as long as you do not step onto my toes/scripts by doing so. If you want to replicate and work on things you need somewhere else, do so.

I am not trying to be dismissive - but simply want to point out that the repo you target for a move is not what you think it is.

sword/bindings is one place you would want to look at and sword/examples another one.

I do fully support a general move of the actual library to git, but am happy to wait until Troy decides the time is right for that move. But even then I would continue with sword-tools in svn until there is a good reason for _that_ to move. You have not given one yet.

Peter