[sword-devel] Diatheke Patch (was Re: Next version)

Greg Hellings greg.hellings at gmail.com
Sun Mar 31 07:21:39 MST 2013

On Sun, Mar 31, 2013 at 3:35 AM, Chris Little <chrislit at crosswire.org>wrote:

> On 3/30/2013 12:54 PM, Greg Hellings wrote:
>
>> There was a patch just the other day to add a few small command-line
>> options to diatheke.
>>
>>  I'd really prefer that this patch not be added, especially not without
> discussion. I see these types of formatting options/decisions as being
> appropriate to post-processing regexes, not changes to a front end.
> Diatheke isn't a text exporter and won't necessarily output in the way that
> is most convenient to your particular unspecified use. If it doesn't work
> for you, filter diatheke's output or write your own tool.

The person proposing this change is writing LaTeX functions that a user can
use to embed scripture quotations directly into the generated files. He is
currently using post-processing regular expressions but these options would
eliminate the possibility of problems with the regular expressions.

Since Diatheke already has quite a few options for changing its formats and
filters, stripping the extra markers seems reasonable for applications like
this one where having a C or C++ file do the exporting might not be
feasible. I don't know the limits of LaTeX and whether a custom exporter
program is feasible, but is there any particular reason to not want changes
to Diatheke?

--Greg