[sword-devel] I implore you...

Jaak Ristioja jaak at ristioja.ee
Sun Jun 9 12:56:44 MST 2013

Hi!

On 09.06.2013 18:09, Greg Hellings wrote:
> ...please just release 1.7.0 now. 15 months ago Troy promised it
> would be released the following month. Some things have happened
> that made it a bit difficult, but 15 MORE months beyond the
> already-too-long time is ridiculous. Please just release it as it
> is and then make regular bug-fix releases to address each of these
> outstanding bugs.
>
> Please, stop with the "one more bug" or "one more thing" or "next
> week/month, I  promise". Just release it. Xiphos is unable to make
> a new release because it has been repeatedly promised that "very
> soon now" a new Sword would be released, so the application has
> committed to the current SVN of Sword. BibleTime has support for
> several of the existing Sword features in a development branch but
> cannot make a release with that support because of a commitment to
> only supporting released Sword versions.
>
> Troy, you've said one reason you procrastinate releases is because
> you don't like going through the release process. I've offered
> twice now - with no response - to manage a stable branch of the
> library and make regular bug-fix releases from that while main
> trunk development continues onwards. With git, I already maintain
> such functionality on the github mirror of CrossWire - doing it for
> a stable branch would not be more difficult. Maybe someone else
> would also be willing if you don't want me to do that.
>
> But please, can we just have a release? 'Twould be nice.

I second that.

And it's just getting ugly that other developers are being ignored in
many matters regarding the Sword library.

Lately, I've been thinking about this many times. The way I see it,
unless the situation for this community changes rapidly for the better
this summer, the next feature-release of BibleTime will probably link
exclusively against a fork of the Sword library. We also hope to
cooperate with other Sword projects in this matter.

This is not meant as a personal offense towards Troy or others. But if
our attempts to influence a release of a new version of Sword keep
failing, the rest of the community must take decisive action
themselves. We'd rather not fork, so please mitigate this. The clock
is ticking.

Everyone, please consider praying on these matters.

Blessings,
Jaak