[sword-devel] Windows Unicode woes

Greg Hellings greg.hellings at gmail.com
Mon Apr 15 13:30:57 MST 2013

I have hacked and hacked at this. I seem to have something working. If
people who use Xiphos can test it out with

http://dl.thehellings.com/xiphos-3.1.5-win32-sword-patch.exe (this will
look a bit uglier than you might be used to as I have built it with an
unstyled GTK+3 interface rather than the more familiar styled GTK+2 you're
used to in Windows builds of Xiphos)

while people with a love of the command line can test it out by downloading
the latest sword-utils from

http://dl.thehellings.com/sword-utils/

that suit your fancy.

Anyone who wants to see my code can find it on github at
http://github.com/greg-hellings/sword in the util_open branch. Testing on
Linux/Unix/Mac would also be appreciated. I have done a cursory test on all
the major operating systems and I don't appear to have broken basic
functionality.

Testing with paths - especially on Windows - which include non-Unicode
characters would be greatly appreciated. If I get positive feedback on the
behavior of these test binaries I'll make the patch up nice and proper and
submit it in its final form.

The only odd behavior I've noticed is there seems to be occasional
performance pauses while performing file operations. I'm not sure if I'm
just imaginging that or if my patch has occasional performance impacts.
I've also been testing in a VM, so it's entirely possible that I was just
seeing variable system load messing with it.

Please - any feedback, even "it worked for me" and "me too" (or "not for
me") would be most appreciated.

--Greg