[sword-devel] DSS (Biblical Dead Sea Scrolls based upon DJD translations)

Greg Hellings greg.hellings at gmail.com
Wed Nov 7 17:00:47 MST 2012

"Fair Use" does not mean plagiarizing. Bibles are able to be quoted from,
even extensively, to constitute "Fair Use" but you can't copy a Bible out
of print or another electronic form, even if you do it by hand, and claim
to be using it under "Fair Use" because it's a translation of an ancient
work and often used for scholarship. That still constitutes plagiarism.

There's a difference between "cit[ing] other authors work" and reproducing
that work in its entirety. Reproduction and distribution is not "Fair Use".
Providing quotations and commentary would be, but wholesale reproduction
without permission is not.

The Dead Sea Scrolls are not Copyrightable. But any translation of them is
in at least the United States and many other countries as well. You
distributing them without permission is a violation of that Copyright.
Take, as an example, the NIV's notice:
"The NIV text may be quoted in any form (written, visual, electronic or
audio), up to and inclusive of five hundred (500) verses without express
written permission of the publisher, providing the verses do not amount to
a complete book of the Bible nor do the verses quoted account for
twenty-five percent (25%) or more of the total text of the work in which
they are quoted."
Other Bibles offer identical or similar admonishments. Any translation of
the Dead Sea Scrolls are under whatever Copyright their author and/or
publishers may have placed them. And as much as you want to cry "Fair Use"
you are beholden to the laws of the land in which you dwell to honor any
such Copyright. In order to share your work with the CrossWire community
the community requests that you provide proof that the works are either (1)
placed in the public domain, (2) Are able to be reproduced and distributed
freely, or (3) you have been granted some form of right by the Copyright
holders to distribute them. Claiming, "But it's Fair Use because I want it
to be or because _I_ plan to use it academically" does not meet this
community's standards of adhering to Copyright. So please, point us to the
disclaimer on the original sources, or to the specific laws/rulings that
allow this into the Public Domain or provide us evidence that you have
secured distribution rights. If you can't do those things, then the
CrossWire community doesn't want to play host or distributor to either
those texts or your announcement of their availability.

--Greg