[sword-devel] bpbible Translation Error

Jonathan Morgan jonmmorgan at gmail.com
Sun Sep 12 04:16:32 MST 2010

Hi Tom,

On Sat, Sep 11, 2010 at 9:13 PM, Thomas Thorstad <tom.t at aheart4seasia.org>wrote:

> Hey All,
>

> I have about 70% of the Lao Language completed for BPBible. The other is
> just not able to translate at this time, mostly because it isn’t needed.
>

> However I am receiving an error message when I load BPBible in to the Lao
> Language. Just for your note (ເກີດຂໍ້ຜິດພາດ) Means Error in Lao, so At
> least I know some of the script is working.  It will not continue loading
> at this time. Any Ideas.
>

> The Font I am using is an Unicode font and I have the language format to be
> set to UFT-8 Formatting.
>

> Here is the Error Bellow:
> ເກີດຂໍ້ຜິດພາດ
>
> ValueError: unsupported format character '?' (0xeaa) at index 2
>
> ເກີດຂໍ້ຜິດພາດ
>
> ValueError: unsupported format character '?' (0xe82) at index 1
>
> ເກີດຂໍ້ຜິດພາດ
>
> ValueError: unsupported format character '?' (0xe82) at index 1
>
> ເກີດຂໍ້ຜິດພາດ
>
> ValueError: unsupported format character '?' (0xe82) at index 1
>
> ເກີດຂໍ້ຜິດພາດ
>
> ValueError: unsupported format character '?' (0xe82) at index 1
>

> Details:
>

> Traceback (most recent call last):
>
>   File "wx\_core.pyo", line 14368, in <lambda>
>
>   File "mainframe.pyo", line 186, in setup
>
>   File "mainframe.pyo", line 836, in set_menus_up
>
> ValueError: unsupported format character '?' (0xeaa) at index 2
>

> Traceback (most recent call last):
>
>   File "wx\_core.pyo", line 14368, in <lambda>
>
>   File "search\searchpanel.pyo", line 265, in set_version
>
> ValueError: unsupported format character '?' (0xe82) at index 1
>

> Traceback (most recent call last):
>
>   File "wx\_core.pyo", line 14368, in <lambda>
>
>   File "search\searchpanel.pyo", line 265, in set_version
>
> ValueError: unsupported format character '?' (0xe82) at index 1
>

> Traceback (most recent call last):
>
>   File "wx\_core.pyo", line 14368, in <lambda>
>
>   File "search\searchpanel.pyo", line 265, in set_version
>
> ValueError: unsupported format character '?' (0xe82) at index 1
>

> Traceback (most recent call last):
>
>   File "wx\_core.pyo", line 14368, in <lambda>
>
>   File "search\searchpanel.pyo", line 265, in set_version
>
> ValueError: unsupported format character '?' (0xe82) at index 1

It seems most likely that it is an encoding error (e.g. that some of the
strings in the file are not valid UTF-8).  These kinds of encoding issues
aren't always easy to track down.

Just an FYI, My email is on the developer list however, I temporary disabled
> to for receiving emails it because I was getting overwhelmed by the emails
> and the internet is slow here so my Outlook would get stuck loading the
> emails. So please reply directly to my email below:

I suggest you subscribe to the bpbible-translators mailing list (
http://groups.google.com/group/bpbible-translators) and continue this
discussion there to minimise disruption to other SWORD developers.  It is
guaranteed to be low traffic.

Thanks,
Jon