[sword-devel] [mobile-devel] Bishop (Android C++ SWORD)

Troy A. Griffitts scribe at crosswire.org
Thu Oct 28 06:04:34 MST 2010

On 10/28/2010 03:27 AM, Brian J. Dumont wrote:
> Thanks for the thoughts, Troy,
>
> You say that it supports indexing ... I don't see that.   How do I index
> a Bible?

Sorry Brian, I was ambiguous in my statement.  When I stated that 'we'
support both, I was wearing my engine api programming hat.  Bishop is
not an end user frontend.  It is merely a test harness for the C++
engine on Android.  We as a community of developers at CrossWire have
both options available to us for writing applications.

> Like you, I'd appreciate the option to index at least the
> Bibles that I use all of the time.  Indexing is something that can
> ideally be done in the background.  With 8-32GD SD cards, it doesn't
> seem like the space is an issue.

Sure, I believe And-Bible does this with JSword (though I'm not sure if
it is done in the background).  I have not yet attempted to compile with
the Android NDK the SWORD C++ engine with clucene turned on to support
index building and usage with the C++ engine.

> I do agree that regex and more complex searches are really nice, but the
> typical search (on one of my "favorite" Bibles) is pretty simple and an
> index does make it faster.  However, when I'm using a "non-typical" (for
> me) translation or a regex search, I wouldn't blink at 10-15 seconds for
> a search.

Right, this is how I typically work as well.  The engine exposes the
ability to create indecies on individual modules, and I believe most
frontends allow you to search unindexed or to build an index for an
individual module.  I had hoped this would also be the case for our
Android offerings.

> Also ... now that I look at the "About" page, it says "and other study
> helps" ... does that mean General Books?  That would totally rock for me.

:) Well, theoretically the JNI bindings for the C++ engine allow general
books to be installed and displayed, but I don't have any hooks in
bishop to test this functionality yet.

Hope that clears things up a bit.  Thanks again for the comments.

Troy