[sword-devel] Config file for thml module [SOLVED]

Mario Marín mmfmarin at gmail.com
Tue Nov 30 06:27:06 MST 2010

On Mon, Nov 29, 2010 at 09:07:16PM -0500, Brian J. Dumont wrote:
> On 11/29/2010 05:18 PM, David Haslam wrote:
> > Though this enquiry has generated a number of "asides", mmfmarin is still
> > awaiting help on using this.
> >
> To summarize: it seems to me, that we've presented mmfmarin with two
>
>    1. Make a ThML-ish IMP file.  This is probably the fastest way, but
>       leaves one with a file that is harder to error-check and less
>       portable.  It will not really be able to produce any formatted
>       output from BibleCS (Sword Project for Windows), but the raw text
>       should be displayed.  The markup will likely work fine in most
>       (maybe all) of the other SWORD/jsword frontends.
>    2. Make an OSIS file.  This is probably harder.  thml2osis.xslt is
>       very old and unsupported.  If I were to do this, I think I would
>       power through it with a successive series of Perl scripts that
>       normalize the ThML and then convert each marker to an OSIS
>       equivalent.  The final result of this process would give a file
>       that could be checked for validity, a process which can turn up
>       unexpected errors in the markup.  The OSIS file would produce a
>       module that would work well in all SWORD/jsword frontends, and is
>       probably more portable to other non-SWORD programs.
>
> It seems that mmfmarin's decision is probably based on the planned
> future of this module.  I could see that decision going either way.

You are right. I will use an Osis file, just not right now, it is a project that
will take me a while and cross-reference notes are not a priority right now. I
decided to use vpl format for now, and succeeded to convert it into a valid sword
module. I removed all ThML tags with vim macros and regexp and made sure each
line had this format:
	Gen 1:1 This is the first verse of the bible.

Valid names of the books are listed in the Osis wiki, I just made sure that my
file had 31102 lines and ran:
	vpl2mod bibleinpvl.vpl modulename 1 1

Thanks everybody for your help, it has been very useful and you are very kind.
However, I would like to make a some recommendations to the list:
	- I thread should be about one subject. If a newbie like me were to do
	some research about ThML bibles for sword modules, he/she would find
	this thread confusing since it has discussions that are not related to
	the main topic.
	- Write your emails in plain text, it is easier to read.

The wiki helped me a lot, but the thml2osis should be marked as deprecated.
Thank you again, you can consider this thread as closed.

	Mario Marín