[sword-devel] Xiphos : copy'n'paste to facebook produces Chinese !

Dmitrijs Ledkovs dmitrij.ledkov at ubuntu.com
Thu May 6 08:53:19 MST 2010

On 6 May 2010 16:33, Gregory Hellings <greg.hellings at gmail.com> wrote:

> On May 6, 2010, at 10:21 AM, Peter von Kaehne <refdoc at gmx.net> wrote:
>
>> On 06/05/10 13:42, David Haslam wrote:
>>>
>>> The quirky behaviour  [..]
>>
>> Tried it On Firefox and Ubuntu without being able to reproduce. Don't
>> have Windows right now.
>>
>>> This therefore points to a subtle bug in Xiphos, one that has not been
>>> encountered before.
>>
>> Not by necessity.
>>
>> 1) Facebook is very buggy and known to be buggy. Facebook mangling posts
>> would not surprise me.
>> 2) It could be something with your specific clipboard.
>
> Additional software in the same stack: GTK1 as modified/used by FF, GTK used
> by Xiphos, GTKHTML, Firefox, Gecko, Windows. Maybe others I'm missing?

GTK+2 =)

FF on Windows doesn't use GTK. On linux distros FF-gtk flavour mostly
uses system gtk.

Gtkhtml here is not the culprit. When you copy you don't copy what you
see, instead you get a copy object which has different represation
depending on how the target application interprets the paste. This is
very similar to drag and drop: when you drag a file and drop it into
terminal you get full path to the file, when you drop it into GIMP it
opens the file for editing if it knows how to edit that type of file
etc....

So here the copy object is either generated incorrectly or interpreted
incorrectly. It could be Xiphos (not generating copy object
correctly), Windows (mangling the copy object), Firefox (mangling it
again) or Facebook (interpreting the copy object wrong).

On my combinations of this chain I cannot reproduce the problem.

> Unicode is notoriously sticky for programs to handle because there is never
> a guarantee other programs understand it or understand the same version and
> encoding you're using. And many popular software tools simply aren't Unicode
> aware in the first place or have limited support or require Unicode data to
> be handled differently and with different APIs.

Even if the app source & app target understand you can force run the
app in different encoding (or in case of a web-browser even per
document).

So far I haven't heard from the original reporter what are the
encoding settings set to in windows regional settings, browser and
xiphos.