[sword-devel] Xiphos : copy'n'paste to facebook produces Chinese !

Gregory Hellings greg.hellings at gmail.com
Thu May 6 08:33:52 MST 2010

On May 6, 2010, at 10:21 AM, Peter von Kaehne <refdoc at gmx.net> wrote:

> On 06/05/10 13:42, David Haslam wrote:
>> The quirky behaviour  [..]
>
> Tried it On Firefox and Ubuntu without being able to reproduce. Don't
> have Windows right now.
>
>> This therefore points to a subtle bug in Xiphos, one that has not
>> been
>> encountered before.
>
> Not by necessity.
>
> 1) Facebook is very buggy and known to be buggy. Facebook mangling
> posts
> would not surprise me.
> 2) It could be something with your specific clipboard.

Additional software in the same stack: GTK1 as modified/used by FF,
GTK used by Xiphos, GTKHTML, Firefox, Gecko, Windows. Maybe others I'm
missing?

Unicode is notoriously sticky for programs to handle because there is
never a guarantee other programs understand it or understand the same
version and encoding you're using. And many popular software tools
simply aren't Unicode aware in the first place or have limited support
or require Unicode data to be handled differently and with different
APIs.

--Greg