[sword-devel] experimental repository & new module release procedures

Chris Little chrislit at crosswire.org
Tue Oct 6 02:25:23 MST 2009

Ben Morgan wrote:
> I don't currently use installmgr at all, but I think the experimental
> repository should definitely be removed. Potentially, modules in the
> experimental repository will cause crashes - possibly leading to the
> software crashing on startup after it is installed (I think the
> versetreekey modules are like this currently - or at least were sometime).
>
> After all, users who are advanced enough to want it can manually add it in.

This is actually a compelling reason to remove the repo. I was still
leaning toward leaving it in, since users can still ignore a repo named
"experimental" even if it's in their auto-updated repo list. But I think
crashing on startup--which could certainly occur--is a sufficiently
confusing circumstance for a new user who naively installs every module
that they might want to (or have to) uninstall entirely.

--Chris