[sword-devel] experimental repository & new module release procedures

Manfred Bergmann bergmannmd at web.de
Tue Oct 6 02:41:44 MST 2009

Am 06.10.2009 um 10:25 schrieb Chris Little:

> Ben Morgan wrote:
>> I don't currently use installmgr at all, but I think the
>> experimental repository should definitely be removed. Potentially,
>> modules in the experimental repository will cause crashes -
>> possibly leading to the software crashing on startup after it is
>> installed (I think the versetreekey modules are like this currently
>> - or at least were sometime).
>> After all, users who are advanced enough to want it can manually
>> add it in.
>
> This is actually a compelling reason to remove the repo. I was still
> leaning toward leaving it in, since users can still ignore a repo
> named "experimental" even if it's in their auto-updated repo list.
> But I think crashing on startup--which could certainly occur--is a
> sufficiently confusing circumstance for a new user who naively
> installs every module that they might want to (or have to) uninstall
> entirely.

That's a good reason, right.
But then even in beta is a potential risk of applications crashing
when loading a module and on startup when the module is automatically
loaded because it still is stored in the session.
We can make sure that every module in beta does at least load
correctly on the front ends.

Manfred