[sword-devel] List of verse ranges (and avoiding svn)

Greg Hellings greg.hellings at gmail.com
Sun Nov 29 17:10:17 MST 2009

On Sun, Nov 29, 2009 at 5:55 PM, Jonathan Marsden <jmarsden at fastmail.fm> wrote:
> Greg Hellings wrote:
>
>> Since this information is likely to be very useful for module
>> developers, it seems to be a perfect fit for a Wiki page.
>
> OK.  My sense has been that module developers have often been required
> to use SWORD svn code anyway, because lack of regression testing of the
> module creation utilities has led to bugs being found in them in release
> versions of the library.  So it semmed to me that many SWORD module
> developers have, in the past, had to access svn sources and build SWORD
> for themselves, whether they like doing so or not, in order to get a
> working SWORD for their needs.  This is obviously not ideal, but
> (forgive me if I am mistaken) it appears to have been reality.
>
> Coming back to the list of verse ranges: Could you script something up
> to autogenerate such a page from the svn canon_*.h files, so that it
> stays up to date as the codebase changes?  That would be nice for
> non-technical module developers, as you say.
>
> For now, in the absence of such a script, the info is available, with a
> bit of digging, as I pointed out earlier.  As far as I know there is, as
> of right now, no "pretty web based" list of that info.  If you are
> willing and able to create a script to autogenerate such a web page...
> go for it :)  I might even be persuaded to do so myself, at some point
> -- but not this weekend.  So, in response to John's request, I provided
> info on what does exist, and is available, right now, that would get him
> the information he was seeking.

Judging from the tenor of your email, you took my message as a
criticism of you.  I apologize, that was not my intention.  Your
understanding is the same as mine regarding the historical need for
SVN compilation of the library in order to gain access to the latest
utilities.  But recently there seems to have been a push to reduce the
need for that (especially for module developers on Windows who likely
have even less technical knowledge than a module developer in Linux).
I was just noting that this is one such place where we could benefit
from having this information on the Wiki.

It has been a little while since I updated the SVN Doxygen files in my
user directory, but there is a full replication of the header files
included with that, as well as the location Chris pointed out in his
message.  If I'm looking in the right place, then parsing the files
would require at least a rudimentary parsing of the C struct syntax
that contains the data.  It looks pretty straightforward, and I could
do it, if I knew where to drop the data afterward.  Is an automated
system the best way to go for such a limited set of data, or is there
someone who knows more about the meaning of the actual versifications
who also has the time to manually enter what we have into the wiki?

--Greg