[sword-devel] List of verse ranges (and avoiding svn)

Jonathan Marsden jmarsden at fastmail.fm
Sun Nov 29 17:25:30 MST 2009

Greg Hellings wrote:

> If I'm looking in the right place, then parsing the files would
> require at least a rudimentary parsing of the C struct syntax that
> contains the data.  It looks pretty straightforward, and I could do
> it, if I knew where to drop the data afterward.

Unless it is computationally intensive, I'd be tempted to output an HTML
 page to stdout, and use the script as am old fashioned CGI.  You could
probably create a file in a daily cron job instead, and include it into
a wiki page, if that is a better fit with the site.  See
http://www.mediawiki.org/wiki/Extension:Include for one approach to that.

> Is an automated system the best way to go for such a limited set of
> data, or is there someone who knows more about the meaning of the
> actual versifications who also has the time to manually enter what we
> have into the wiki?

My guess is that the one person who really understands this stuff is
Chris, and my suspicion is that he doesn't really have the time to keep
more wiki pages updated.  That's why it looked to me like a candidate
for automation.  It's not that the output will change daily, or even
weekly... but over time, new versifications will be added.

If there *is* someone with the knowledge and time to do this by hand as
a wiki page, and keep it updated... please, stand up and be counted :)

Jonathan