[sword-devel] List of verse ranges (and avoiding svn)

Jonathan Marsden jmarsden at fastmail.fm
Sun Nov 29 16:55:26 MST 2009

Greg Hellings wrote:

> Since this information is likely to be very useful for module
> developers, it seems to be a perfect fit for a Wiki page.

OK.  My sense has been that module developers have often been required
to use SWORD svn code anyway, because lack of regression testing of the
module creation utilities has led to bugs being found in them in release
versions of the library.  So it semmed to me that many SWORD module
developers have, in the past, had to access svn sources and build SWORD
for themselves, whether they like doing so or not, in order to get a
working SWORD for their needs.  This is obviously not ideal, but
(forgive me if I am mistaken) it appears to have been reality.

Coming back to the list of verse ranges: Could you script something up
to autogenerate such a page from the svn canon_*.h files, so that it
stays up to date as the codebase changes?  That would be nice for
non-technical module developers, as you say.

For now, in the absence of such a script, the info is available, with a
bit of digging, as I pointed out earlier.  As far as I know there is, as
of right now, no "pretty web based" list of that info.  If you are
willing and able to create a script to autogenerate such a web page...
go for it :)  I might even be persuaded to do so myself, at some point
-- but not this weekend.  So, in response to John's request, I provided
info on what does exist, and is available, right now, that would get him
the information he was seeking.

Jonathan