[sword-devel] InstallMgr

Jonathan Marsden jmarsden at fastmail.fm
Thu May 14 17:38:32 MST 2009

Chris Little wrote:

> The (to my mind) greater issue is simply that it this system requires
> someone else to have already downloaded the most recent version of a
> module. The ZIPs are only created by the download servlet. Assuming our
> hope that people migrate to InstallMgrs comes true, fewer and fewer
> people will download ZIPs from the webpage, making it progressively less
> likely that the correct ZIP exists.

I don't know the details of this mechanism, but a daily cron job on the
server itself that downloads all modules (to /dev/null, or worst case to
a temporary directory that is then deleted) would be a simple way to
handle this issue, and one that would generate zero network traffic (the
downloads would be over the lo interface of the server, no physical
network traffic over real network cables would happen).

I suspect this is implementable as a one line shell script in
/etc/cron.daily/ that runs wget ?  Would you like me to come up with and
test such a script?

Jonathan