[sword-devel] InstallMgr

Greg Hellings greg.hellings at gmail.com
Thu May 14 18:26:36 MST 2009

On Thu, May 14, 2009 at 7:38 PM, Jonathan Marsden <jmarsden at fastmail.fm> wrote:
> Chris Little wrote:
>
>> The (to my mind) greater issue is simply that it this system requires
>> someone else to have already downloaded the most recent version of a module.
>> The ZIPs are only created by the download servlet. Assuming our hope that
>> people migrate to InstallMgrs comes true, fewer and fewer people will
>> download ZIPs from the webpage, making it progressively less likely that the
>> correct ZIP exists.
>
> I don't know the details of this mechanism, but a daily cron job on the
> server itself that downloads all modules (to /dev/null, or worst case to a
> temporary directory that is then deleted) would be a simple way to handle
> this issue, and one that would generate zero network traffic (the downloads
> would be over the lo interface of the server, no physical network traffic
> over real network cables would happen).
>
> I suspect this is implementable as a one line shell script in
> /etc/cron.daily/ that runs wget ?  Would you like me to come up with and
> test such a script?

for module in $(cat /usr/share/sword/mods.d./*.conf | grep -e
    installmgr -ri CrossWire $module;
done

You might have to check the sed script.  Not sure if that's what you
mean or if it's something more like:

for module in $(cat /path/to/zips); do
       wget -O /dev/null ftp://path/to/file/$module;
done

But whatever.  It should be pretty trivial.