[sword-devel] v11n - howto create module from vpl format

Greg Hellings greg.hellings at gmail.com
Mon May 11 12:50:36 MST 2009

Martin,

On Mon, May 11, 2009 at 2:42 PM, Martin Zibricky <mzibricky at gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> I'm trying to convert Czech Bible 21 (B21) to sword format.
>
> When using tool 'vpl2mod' (sword 1.5.11) I'm getting a lot of warnings
> like:
>
> ----
> Not a valid KJV ref: Genesis 32:33
> appending to ref: Genesis 32:32
> Warning, overwriting verse: Genesis 32:32
> Not a valid KJV ref: Exodus 7:26
> ----
>
> at first look it seems to me that B21 is using Leningrad versification.
> (file canon_leningrad.h but there are missing items for new testament in
> that file).
>
> Is it possible to convert vpl Bible format to sword module using
> specific v11n versification? (in my case Leningrad versification)?
>
> Or should I do it by hand?
> ( use vpl2mod with KJV versification, then mod2osis and then edit osis
> by hand to correct the versification and then using osis2mod?)

Some day in the future this might work better - but at the moment
there are still some issues with mod2osis.  However, this is possibly
the most straightforward solution.  Another is to either 1) use
imp2mod if that supports it or 2) put it in some sort of imp-like
format and use a regex parser, like sed, to convert that into a
minimal OSIS document.

I think that the current mod2osis, if you use the patches that are
available from somewhere on this list back in April, you might have
pretty good success.  It should produce valid, well-formed XML/OSIS,
but your mileage may vary, and we on the list would highly appreciate
any sort of feedback on whether it worked or what sort of bugs you
encountered.

--Greg