[sword-devel] Papyri Index Volunteers

Troy A. Griffitts scribe at crosswire.org
Sun Jun 28 22:00:29 MST 2009

Are you interested in ancient manuscripts of the NT?

Do you have the skills it takes to recognize what Greek text is on a
manuscript page?

Are you looking for a wonderful project where you can volunteer your
time for a very worthwhile cause?

If YES to all of the above, please read on.

CSNTM is an organization with a goal to photograph and make freely
available images of all important NT MSS.  Their website is here:

http://csntm.org

We at CrossWire have been working on a MS indexing tool that will help
volunteers help CSNTM index all of their images.

If you would like to help out and don't mind running a VERY early beta
of our indexing tool, please follow these instructions:

1) Register an account on our community site at:

http://community.crosswire.org

All previous experimental accounts have been removed, so if you have
been testing our community site in the past, you will need to create a
new account.  PLEASE USE YOUR SVN USERID AND PASSWORD if you already
have an SVN account for CrossWire's source control repository.  We hope
to share accounts between these systems soon.

2) After verifying your account and logging in, click on the [projects]
tab, and then select the Manuscript Indexer link.

3) In another browser tab, visit http://csntm.org then click on the
Manuscripts link, browse through their documents and find one that
interests you with a small number of images, to start, for
experimenting, note the Gregory-Aland Number (first column) and click
the _View_ link.  This will take you to the list of images for this
document.  Copy the URL address from your browser window.

4) Back in the browser tab or window where you are logged into the
CrossWire Community Manuscript Indexer, type in the Gregory-Aland number
of your document of choice and hit the [Create] button, then select your
newly created document and on the right side in the Base URL field paste
the URL you copied from the CSNTM site and hit [Save]

5) The [Load All Images At This URL] button should now be enabled.  Hit
this button and be patient while the images are slurped down and
thumbnails are built.

6) Click on the first thumbnail to popup the image viewer, zoom in, and
through research on this document and from using your keen Greek skills
determine and enter the Biblical coverage of this page, e.g.,
Rom.1.1-3.19.  Be sure to hit the [Save] button for this image and move
on to the next.

7) Once you have the hang of thing, come back here and report that you
are planning to volunteer and specify which document you are currently
working through.  THIS IS VERY IMPORTANT as we don't want to duplicate
work.  We hope to soon have a project status page where you will be able
to see what documents are still available and click to claim your next
document, but until then, we'll have to coordinate here.

PLEASE ENJOY YOURSELF AND SPREAD THE WORD TO WHOMEVER YOU FEEL MIGHT BE
INTERESTED IN HELPING OUT.

The CSNTM guys are doing a wonderful work to collect these images and
make them freely available.  This indexing project will provide the
means to manipulate these images usefully from our software and other
projects, and will provide the world with the easily accessible evidence
attesting to the reliability of the New Testament.  I am really excited
about this project and about collaborating together with you all and
CSNTM on this work!  May God make use of these efforts to draw people to
Himself.

	Serving together,
		-Troy.