[sword-devel] InstallMgr ftp difficulty

Karl Kleinpaste karl at kleinpaste.org
Tue Jul 14 17:04:24 MST 2009

I'm on a residential-grade Comcast connection, behind a Linksys wireless
gateway, running a VirtualBox VM that fakes a NAT connection.  So I'm 2
layers of NAT away from the reality of the public Comcast IP.

Trying to refresh from ftp.bible.org fails; it happens to hang Xiphos
forever.  Trying a command line ftp program, I can get logged in, but
any commands are rejected with "500 I won't open a connection to
10.0.2.15 (only to 71.206.198.112)", the latter of which is my Comcast
IP.  VBox does local NAT in 10.0.2.x.

Similar attempts to connect to ftp.crosswire.org reward me with "500
Illegal PORT command."  Probably the same difficulty.

I don't recall this problem occurring when I used VMware.  Any advice?