[sword-devel] Release-critical TODO items (updated mod2osis patch)

Gregory Hellings greg.hellings at gmail.com
Mon Apr 27 00:36:21 MST 2009

On Apr 27, 2009, at 2:01, Jonathan Marsden <jmarsden at fastmail.fm> wrote:

> Greg Hellings wrote:
>
>> The way I tested it was to create a .conf file for KJVTEST and export
>> KJV with it, then import to the KJVTEST directory.  Then run either a
>> script or even write a program to compare the output of KJV and
>> KJVTEST across all the verses, with all the options enabled, to see
>> if
>> they're identical.
>
> Interesting.  What I am doing so far is just a trivial one-liner:
>
>  mod2osis KJV |xmllint --noout --schema
> http://www.bibletechnologies.net/osisCore.2.1.1.xsd -
>
> as a quick check to see if the output validates.
>
> It doesn't, but it is looking very close.  Two issues remain:
>
> (1) Use of type="section" in Psalm titles.  These should all be
> type="psalm", if I am reading the .xsd file correctly.  And indeed:
>
>  mod2osis KJV |sed -e 's/type="section"/type="psalm"/' |xmllint --
> noout
> --schema http://www.bibletechnologies.net/osisCore.2.1.1.xsd -
>
> gets rid of all those (138) errors.

I'm not certain if that comes from mod2osis, the filters or the
original KJV improt file. My suspicion is that it is a bug in the
filters, but don't qoute me on that.

> Who is in charge of the KJV OSIS input text... and could they please
> confirm my diagnosis of the issue and fix this, please?  I am using a
> KJV module downloaded from CrossWire, with:
>
> SwordVersionDate=2006-10-09
> Version=2.3
>
> Hmmm: OTOH, although the CrossWire wiki tells me to validate with the
> xsd I list above, the mod2osis output says the KJV used osisCore.
> 2.5.xsd
> -- a newer version, which is fine, except I can't seem to find it at
> the
> bibletechnologies.net web site.
>
> Is this just an outdated wiki page leading me astray, and if so, where
> can I find osisCore.2.5.xsd ?
>
> (2) 14 errors of the form:
>
> -:60107: element div: Schemas validity error : Element
> '{http://www.bibletechnologies.net/2003/OSIS/namespace}div': This
> element is not expected.
>
> which is more likely to be a mod2osis buglet of some sort... I'm
> investigating this one now...

Not so sure with your assessment. I actually think the bug (feature?)
is on the import side, not properly handling out-of-verse material
when presenting the OSIS to the engine or with the engine not holding
that data and therefore squishing it into the verse.

The reason I used my method of evaluation was to be sure that the OSIS
I produced, even if not perfect, was at least able to be lossless. If
someone ran mod2osis I wanted them to have something that could go
into osis2mod and produce the same module. I had achieved that
(presuming the original was OSIS to begin with) with everything except
Psalm 119 with a fair degree of success, but obviously not with
perfect OSIS.

I'd be interested to see if you catching the section/psalm error will
fix that nagging Ps 119 problem.

--Greg