[sword-devel] Release-critical TODO items (updated mod2osis patch)

DM Smith dmsmith at crosswire.org
Mon Apr 27 04:23:24 MST 2009

On Apr 27, 2009, at 3:01 AM, Jonathan Marsden wrote:

> Greg Hellings wrote:
>
>> The way I tested it was to create a .conf file for KJVTEST and export
>> KJV with it, then import to the KJVTEST directory.  Then run either a
>> script or even write a program to compare the output of KJV and
>> KJVTEST across all the verses, with all the options enabled, to see
>> if
>> they're identical.
>
> Interesting.  What I am doing so far is just a trivial one-liner:
>
>  mod2osis KJV |xmllint --noout --schema
> http://www.bibletechnologies.net/osisCore.2.1.1.xsd -
>
> as a quick check to see if the output validates.
>
> It doesn't, but it is looking very close.  Two issues remain:
>
> (1) Use of type="section" in Psalm titles.  These should all be
> type="psalm", if I am reading the .xsd file correctly.  And indeed:
>
>  mod2osis KJV |sed -e 's/type="section"/type="psalm"/' |xmllint --
> noout
> --schema http://www.bibletechnologies.net/osisCore.2.1.1.xsd -
>
> gets rid of all those (138) errors.
>
> Who is in charge of the KJV OSIS input text... and could they please
> confirm my diagnosis of the issue and fix this, please?  I am using a
> KJV module downloaded from CrossWire, with:
>
> SwordVersionDate=2006-10-09
> Version=2.3

I am. You can get the input text from www.crosswire.org/~dmsmith/
kjv2006.

Note, some of the transformations by osis2mod create a module that
does not contain valid OSIS. It is OSIS that SWORD requires. It
pertains to the preverse title markup.

mod2osis has to undo those transformations at least in part.

That's why Greg has the comparison being a result of:
Run mod2osis to get base text
Run osis2mod to get a module with the base text
Run mod2osis on that module to see it creates the same base text.

> Hmmm: OTOH, although the CrossWire wiki tells me to validate with the
> xsd I list above, the mod2osis output says the KJV used osisCore.
> 2.5.xsd
> -- a newer version, which is fine, except I can't seem to find it at
> the
> bibletechnologies.net web site.
>
> Is this just an outdated wiki page leading me astray, and if so, where
> can I find osisCore.2.5.xsd ?

The latest is 2.1.1. There is no such thing as 2.5.

> (2) 14 errors of the form:
>
> -:60107: element div: Schemas validity error : Element
> '{http://www.bibletechnologies.net/2003/OSIS/namespace}div': This
> element is not expected.
>
> which is more likely to be a mod2osis buglet of some sort... I'm
> investigating this one now...
>
> Hmm, it is related to the handling of div elemts of type="colophon" as
> the final element of 14 NT books.  It might be something the
> newer .xsd
> file permits that the 2.1.1 xsd I am using does not?

A colophon is something that comes at the end of a book.

The input has:
<verse>verse text</verse>
</chapter>

The module only stores verses so the colophon is appended to the last
verse. Here is the last verse:
verse text

> That's plenty for tonight, I need some sleep :)

Thank you so much for your help!!!

In Him,
	DM