[sword-devel] Alternate Versification

Jonathan Morgan jonmmorgan at gmail.com
Sun Apr 26 02:23:50 MST 2009

On Sun, Apr 26, 2009 at 4:02 AM, Jonathan Marsden <jmarsden at fastmail.fm> wrote:
> DM Smith wrote:
>
>> I'd like to make a change to osis2mod to have it report the supported
>> alternate versifications that can be used as an argument to -v. Ideally,
>> I'd like the flag value and a short description.
>>
>> How would I go about doing that?
>
> Edit utilities/osis2mod.cpp around line 1200 to add more fprintf
> statements to the usage function that list the versifications concerned.
>  As I'm sure you already know, these are "KJV" and "Leningrad" :)
>
> But that seems too simple an answer...
>
> Are you looking for a way to ask the SWORD library what versifications
> are available, so that the utility does not have to be updated as new
> versifications are added to later versions of the library?  I don't see
> an obvious way to do that, but it sounds like a useful public method to
> me.  Perhaps listRegisteredVersificationSystems() or something like that?
>
> From a quick look at the SWORD code, (and bear in mind I am not any kind
> of expert on this library!) such a method should be straightforward to
> add to src/mgr/versemgr.cpp and is probably just 3 or 4 lines of code.

I think that the versification should be shown as part of the module
information (after all, it is part of the module configuration), and
possibly it should have a more presentable name or more information
about a versification.  If so, this should also be available from the
API in some form, and it seems to me that it would be useful to have
similar things in osis2mod, so that you don't just get:
Available versifications:
KJV
Leningrad
Luther

which isn't that helpful if you know nothing about the available versifications.

Jon