[sword-devel] Alternate Versification

Troy A. Griffitts scribe at crosswire.org
Sun Apr 26 07:44:38 MST 2009

Jonathan Morgan wrote:
> I think that the versification should be shown as part of the module
> information (after all, it is part of the module configuration),

Thanks for the comments Jon.  It does currently kindof work as you
describe; you can get it from the VerseKey of a Bible or commentary
module with the VerseKey::getVersificationSystem().  So though not
DIRECTLY obtainable from the module as you suggestion, you can get it
from the module's key.

 > and
> possibly it should have a more presentable name or more information
> about a versification.

Interesting idea, but I personally can't think of what that information
might be or what name would better and still accurately represent what a
specific v11n system represents.  I tried brainstorming from your
suggestion, but concluded that most users don't even know that Bibles
use different v11n systems, and the ones that do probably will
understand the names we've picked-- or else we probably should pick
different names.  What do you think?

I just added a public method to expose the list of registered v11n
systems, per DM's request.  This will result in exactly what you
describe below (minus Luther currently).  If you still feel it is
valuable to have different presentable names or more data, please let me
know and provide examples, though this isn't likely to be anything we
add for this release.

On the topic, we are currently considering which v11n systems to bundle
with the 1.6.0 release.  Chris has quite a few available.  It is our
current plan to shoot for the most base set of systems for scholarly
Biblical studies.  In my mind, this includes:
WLC (Leningrad), LXX, and GNT (currently KJV comes close with the
exception of approx. 2 verse splits).  So, bottom line, we would add one
more system to the bundle: LXX

New systems can be packaged with subsequent 1.6.x releases, but we need
a useful limited set initially, and I think this is a good balance to
obtain that.

Any thoughts?

	-Troy.