[sword-devel] Notice in licence agreement

DM Smith dmsmith at crosswire.org
Thu Apr 23 16:52:37 MST 2009

On Apr 23, 2009, at 7:38 PM, Dmitrijs Ledkovs wrote:

> 2009/4/23 Eeli Kaikkonen <eekaikko at mail.student.oulu.fi>
> "BibleTime is released under the GPL licence.You can download and
> use (but not distribute) the program for personal, private, public
> or commercial purposes without restrictions.You can give away or
> distribute the program if you also distribute the corresponding
> source code.
>
> The "(but not distribute)" should be removed in my opinion. Cause
> the next sentence tells you how you can distribute.
>
> But yeah good notice. eBay is filled with OpenOffice being sold for
> £5 - £50 with "digital distribution"
>
> --

I appreciate and understand that we (myself included) don' like it
when free/Free software is sold, especially when it is our effort, but
the GPL clearly allows for that. Even we can do that!

The GLP requires that the user be told that the software source code
is free/Free and either be given a copy of it or told how to reliably
get it for free. The requirement of the GPL is not that the source is
distributed, but that it is either distributed or reliably obtainable
(e.g. by mail, by going to an URL that works, ...).

Most of these sellers don't do that.

The problems with any summary of the GPL is that they are almost
always wrong in some point.

-- DM