[sword-devel] Notice in licence agreement

Dmitrijs Ledkovs dmitrij.ledkov at gmail.com
Thu Apr 23 17:10:21 MST 2009

2009/4/24 DM Smith <dmsmith at crosswire.org>:

> I appreciate and understand that we (myself included) don' like it when
> free/Free software is sold, especially when it is our effort, but the GPL
> clearly allows for that. Even we can do that!

Totally agree

> The GLP requires that the user be told that the software source code is
> free/Free and either be given a copy of it or told how to reliably get it
> for free. The requirement of the GPL is not that the source is distributed,
> but that it is either distributed or reliably obtainable (e.g. by mail, by
> going to an URL that works, ...).
> Most of these sellers don't do that.
> The problems with any summary of the GPL is that they are almost always
> wrong in some point.

How about Creative Commons GPL v2.0 summary page link? it's multilingual as well

http://creativecommons.org/licenses/GPL/2.0/

Here is what it says:

The GNU General Public License is a Free Software license. Like any
Free Software license, it grants to you the four following freedoms:

   1. The freedom to run the program for any purpose.
   2. The freedom to study how the program works and adapt it to your needs.
   3. The freedom to redistribute copies so you can help your neighbor.
   4. The freedom to improve the program and release your improvements
to the public, so that the whole community benefits.

You may exercise the freedoms specified here provided that you comply
with the express conditions of this license. The principal conditions
are:

    * You must conspicuously and appropriately publish on each copy
distributed an appropriate copyright notice and disclaimer of warranty
and keep intact all the notices that refer to this License and to the
absence of any warranty; and give any other recipients of the Program
a copy of the GNU General Public License along with the Program. Any
translation of the GNU General Public License must be accompanied by
the GNU General Public License.
    * If you modify your copy or copies of the program or any portion
of it, or develop a program based upon it, you may distribute the
resulting work provided you do so under the GNU General Public
License. Any translation of the GNU General Public License must be
accompanied by the GNU General Public License.
    * If you copy or distribute the program, you must accompany it
with the complete corresponding machine-readable source code or with a
written offer, valid for at least three years, to furnish the complete
corresponding machine-readable source code.

--
With best regards

Dmitrijs Ledkovs (for short Dima),
Ледков Дмитрий Юрьевич