[sword-devel] Notice in licence agreement

Greg Hellings greg.hellings at gmail.com
Thu Apr 23 16:44:32 MST 2009

On Thu, Apr 23, 2009 at 6:38 PM, Dmitrijs Ledkovs
<dmitrij.ledkov at gmail.com> wrote:

> 2009/4/23 Eeli Kaikkonen <eekaikko at mail.student.oulu.fi>
>>
>> "BibleTime is released under the GPL licence.You can download and use (but
>> not distribute) the program for personal, private, public or commercial
>> purposes without restrictions.You can give away or distribute the program if
>> you also distribute the corresponding source code.
>
> The "(but not distribute)" should be removed in my opinion. Cause the next
> sentence tells you how you can distribute.
> But yeah good notice. eBay is filled with OpenOffice being sold for £5 - £50
> with "digital distribution"

Maybe just change the sentence order?  I was also slightly confused --
I would think we want to make the permissive statement first.
Something like:

"BibleTime is released under the GPL license.  You can modify and give
away, use or distribute the program by any method you choose with the
sole restriction that you also distribute the corresponding source
code.  You can download and use (but not distribute) the program for
personal, private or commercial purposes without restrictions."

Still a little confusing, I think, but clearer than the original in my
eyes.  Then again, things usually are to their author. :)

--Greg