[sword-devel] linking / testsuite

Jonathan Marsden jmarsden at fastmail.fm
Wed Apr 22 09:50:13 MST 2009

Troy A. Griffitts wrote:

> I would really like to get people in the habit of updating our
> regression suite.  I've made it as easy as possible.  Just to explain
> briefly:
>
> We don't use the cppunit tests.  ...
> So, to briefly describe, tests are located in:
>
> sword/tests/testsuite/

Thanks for the explanation of the two sets of tests, I was puzzling over
why both were in there just a few days ago :)

Stepping back slightly, I really think a MANIFEST file that describes in
a sentence or two what is in each subdirectory of the source tarball
would be *really* helpful; it would make the whole codebase *much* more
readily accessible to new developers.

A short tests/cppunit/README indicating that these tests are no longer
maintained or used would also be nice to see.

Re: updating the test suite: Agreed 100%.  Adding tests for the Book
name abbreviation stuff would have caught the "Pr" and "Es" etc. change,
for example.  When I saw the discussion of it, I thought "shouldn't
there already be a test for that?", but I confess I didn't actually
contribute one!  Adding something for the "vk1 = vk2 changes more things
about vk1 than it used to" issue might be harder to write, but would
also be good.  But I can find neither of these kind of tests in the RC2
tarball, even though these issues were discovered in RC1 -- am I missing
something?

[Aside: the RC2 tarball has added a tests/testsuite/tmp directory which
was not present in RC1 -- was that intentional?]

Jonathan