[sword-devel] linking / testsuite

Troy A. Griffitts scribe at crosswire.org
Tue Apr 21 18:52:25 MST 2009

Dima, see below...

Brian and DM,

I've made some recent updates around link code.

Can someone please check current SVN and if things still fail, update
our testsuite to add a simple failure case so I can have a look, and so
we don't break things unnoticed in the future?

I would really like to get people in the habit of updating our
regression suite.  I've made it as easy as possible.  Just to explain
briefly:

We don't use the cppunit tests.  They were added with good intentions by
another developer, but you know me: I hate dependencies, and couldn't
really justify adding a cppunit dependency.  Plus I don't really like
junit or cppunit where I have to hardcode all my expected output into
the test program-- when actually we already have a bunch of useful tools
and examples which can be run already and their output checked for validity.

So, to briefly describe, tests are located in:

sword/tests/testsuite/

This folder contains simple .sh files which perform any operations they
desire to exercise the library functionality.  Most of the scripts run
some executable in the parent sword/tests directory, passing diverse
parameters.

each .sh file is accompanied with a .good file.
These are very simple redirected > output files from the .sh files when
they are successful.  To produce, simply:

mytest.sh > mytest.good

(of course, run this when mytest.sh is running successfully; otherwise
edit mytest.good and change to what the desired output should be, and
then fix the library problem! :) )

This makes creating a test really easy.  Just:

1) create a simple .cpp file and do all the crazy stuff you want,
sending output to std::cout.
2) Then create a corresponding .sh file in the testsuite folder to run
your executable (as many times as you want with various parameters, if
you'd like).
3) run your .sh file and redirect output to a .good file.

You can include any supporting files you need in here too (.imp, .xml,
etc.) and write any data you need during execution of your test to
sword/tests/testsuite/tmp

The runall.sh script is the master testsuite runner and will execute all
tests that it finds in this directory.  I usually run this before
committing, so if you want to be sure I don't break behaviour you
expect, ADD A TEST :)

:)  The current tests are good examples and also testimony to how much
more we need in there.

http://crosswire.org/svn/sword/trunk/tests/testsuite/

Yeah, yeah, they only run on machines with sh.  I can live with that.

:)  Thanks for your feedback and help!  I hope we can get this link
problem solved if it still exists.

    -Troy.