[sword-devel] BibleTime Windows and Mac packages

Eeli Kaikkonen eekaikko at mail.student.oulu.fi
Sat Apr 18 13:46:36 MST 2009

Greg Hellings wrote:

>> - could it be possible with cpack somehow realize:
>>  * localized licenses, based on language selection
>
> Again, that depends on the multi-language support of CPack.  However,
> the GPL is only "official" in English, if I recall correctly.  I just
> pointed to the official license file in the BibleTime bundle for the
> source tree.

To be honest, I don't see offering translated licenses worth the
trouble. First, as someone pointed out, GPL doesn't need to be accepted.
Second, very few people read licenses at all. Third, of those who read
most can probably read English.

We have this text in BibleTime Help->About dialog:

"BibleTime is released under the GPL licence.You can download and use
(but not distribute) the program for personal, private, public or
commercial purposes without restrictions.You can give away or distribute
the program if you also distribute the corresponding source code.

The complete legally binding license is below."

That text is translatable. It should be enough to give something like
this, if not the same, in the installer.

It could even be reasonable to write a common text for all frontends.

--Eeli Kaikkonen