[sword-devel] my status / SWORD release

Jonathan Marsden jmarsden at fastmail.fm
Fri Apr 10 15:42:40 MST 2009

Troy A. Griffitts wrote:

> Anyway, all this to say, I now know of no outstanding issues with SVN 
> head and would REALLY appreciate testing and feedback from frontends to 
> let us know if we're ready for a release.

Sounds good!

One helpful way to encourage such testing would be to tag the current 
svn head as (say) 1.6.rc1, and then publish a tarball of that code, 
making it available by FTP from your site.  Is this something you would 
consider doing?

This approach allows packagers to package and then test that release 
candidate, and report back on results, more easily than working directly 
from SVN, because others may generate tarballs slightly differently from 
how the SWORD devel team does, etc.

It would be conventional to do alpha and then beta releases like this 
(svn tag, then create and publish a tarball of the tagged snapshot), and 
then do an rc1, but if the general consensus is that the SWORD svn tree 
is "ready for a release", then going straight to rc1 might be appropriate.

If there is any concern about making such alpha/beta/rc releases "too 
public", perhaps you could just put the source tarball(s) somewhere on 
the CrossWire FTP site and only announce that location here on 
sword-devel ?  CrossWire could even decide not to publish any binary 
test releases at all, just source code release(s), until the decision is 
made to go for a final "gold" release of the library??


More information about the sword-devel mailing list