[sword-devel] my status / SWORD release

Eeli Kaikkonen eekaikko at mail.student.oulu.fi
Fri Apr 10 23:52:58 MST 2009

Jonathan Marsden wrote:

> One helpful way to encourage such testing would be to tag the current
> svn head as (say) 1.6.rc1, and then publish a tarball of that code,
> making it available by FTP from your site.  Is this something you would
> consider doing?
>
> This approach allows packagers to package and then test that release
> candidate, and report back on results, more easily than working directly
> from SVN, because others may generate tarballs slightly differently from
> how the SWORD devel team does, etc.
>
> It would be conventional to do alpha and then beta releases like this
> (svn tag, then create and publish a tarball of the tagged snapshot), and
> then do an rc1, but if the general consensus is that the SWORD svn tree
> is "ready for a release", then going straight to rc1 might be appropriate.

It would help me to test the library if alpha/beta/rc was packaged for
Ubuntu and available in some testing repository. That way I could
automatically install it and test it without any extra work, and both
packagers and library developers could get immediate feedback. Now I
don't have time to do the download/build cycle - if anything goes wrong,
it's too much, and even a successful attempt has a learning curve.

If the library is packaged and tested like this, it requires a
standardized release cycle with certain minimum time for packaging and
testing the alpha/beta/rc.

--Eeli Kaikkonen