[sword-devel] Making Import Easier

Manfred Bergmann bergmannmd at web.de
Wed Apr 8 08:39:35 MST 2009

Am 07.04.2009 um 09:25 schrieb Manfred Bergmann:

> Am 07.04.2009 um 09:08 schrieb Chris Little:
>

>> Manfred Bergmann wrote:
>>> Is it possible that we can add compiled mac tools there in a
>>> separate folder?
>>
>> Sure, we can do that. Is that the best option though?
>>
>> We post Windows binaries because most Windows users don't have a
>> compiler. We don't post Linux binaries because most Linux users
>> _do_ have a compiler (or could get one quickly and easily). I don't
>> actually know whether Macs come with I compiler or not.
>
> I'd say normal user don't have a compiler.
> The Development Tools are on a separate DVD or at least you need to
> install them separately.
> I think MacPorts offers Sword 1.5.11 for download. But MacPorts
> tends to pollute the system as it does not use what is already there
> in the system and install things again.
> I think it makes sense to offer the tools.
>
>> On the other hand, if we build binaries, we know that we can ship
>> them with ICU included/enabled, which is quite important.
>
> Hmm, there is a issue.
> Mac OSX only provides limited ICU tools, in fact it is only the
> library (icucore?).
> I can build the Sword library alone but any ICU tools used in the
> build process break building the tools.
> The tools like "genrb" don't work.

Ok, I finally managed to create Sword library including command line
tools and ICU without the need for any other library dependencies than
what the system delivers.

This is what needs to be done:
- install the System ICU 3.6 headers via Fink
- compile a custom ICU 3.6 to /opt/icu-3.6 (or anywhere else).
- add /opt/icu-3.6/lib to DYLD_LIBRARY_PATH
- add /opt/icu-3.6/bin to PATH
- add /sw/include (the ICU headers) to CFLAGS and CXXFLAGS
- build sword

Manfred