[sword-devel] Making Import Easier

Kahunapule Michael Johnson kahunapule at mpj.cx
Tue Apr 7 03:07:18 MST 2009

Chris Little wrote:
> We post Windows binaries because most Windows users don't have a
> compiler. We don't post Linux binaries because most Linux users _do_
> have a compiler (or could get one quickly and easily). I don't
> actually know whether Macs come with I compiler or not.

The vast majority of Mac users would not even consider compiling a
program. A compiler comes with the OS disk, but it is not installed by
default. Require compilation to use a program, and it just won't get
used much, except by a very small number of programmers. Even those
would probably rather have a binary properly packaged.

> Will we have to worry about universal binaries when we build on the
> command line?

Probably, but I'm guessing the default setting is probably to build a
universal binary. That is just a guess. I actually have a MacBook, but
have yet to actually compile anything on it except in the Ubuntu Linux
running in a virtual machine on it.