[sword-devel] Making Import Easier

Manfred Bergmann bergmannmd at web.de
Tue Apr 7 01:25:45 MST 2009

Am 07.04.2009 um 09:08 schrieb Chris Little:

> Manfred Bergmann wrote:

>>> Windows builds are static and found at http://crosswire.org/ftpmirror/pub/sword/utils/win32/
>>> . This is linked from the Wiki documentation, of course. If anyone
>>> wants to make this more prominent & obvious they're welcome, but I
>>> think it's sensible to find this link within the module making
>>> documentation. (You're not really ready to use the utilities until
>>> you've at least skimmed some of the documentation.)
>>>
>> Is it possible that we can add compiled mac tools there in a
>> separate folder?
>
> Sure, we can do that. Is that the best option though?
>
> We post Windows binaries because most Windows users don't have a
> compiler. We don't post Linux binaries because most Linux users _do_
> have a compiler (or could get one quickly and easily). I don't
> actually know whether Macs come with I compiler or not.

I'd say normal user don't have a compiler.
The Development Tools are on a separate DVD or at least you need to
install them separately.
I think MacPorts offers Sword 1.5.11 for download. But MacPorts tends
to pollute the system as it does not use what is already there in the
system and install things again.
I think it makes sense to offer the tools.

> On the other hand, if we build binaries, we know that we can ship
> them with ICU included/enabled, which is quite important.

Hmm, there is a issue.
Mac OSX only provides limited ICU tools, in fact it is only the
library (icucore?).
I can build the Sword library alone but any ICU tools used in the
build process break building the tools.
The tools like "genrb" don't work.

> Will we have to worry about universal binaries when we build on the
> command line?

No, we just need two versions. PPC and Intel.

Manfred