[sword-devel] Making Import Easier

Manfred Bergmann bergmannmd at web.de
Tue Apr 7 00:56:17 MST 2009

Am 07.04.2009 um 05:00 schrieb Greg Hellings:

> On Mon, Apr 6, 2009 at 10:22 PM, DM Smith <dmsmith at crosswire.org>
> wrote:
>> Matthew Talbert wrote:
>>>
>>> Folks, I don't appreciate this. I never intended to imply that
>>> Jonathon's patches wouldn't be welcome. I was simply quoting what I
>>> assumed to be CrossWire policy. "Making a high barrier of entry" is
>>> mentioned quite a few times. Could someone please explain why this
>>> isn't CrossWire policy? Or why people are saying it if it isn'?
>>

>> From my perspective, it is not CrossWire's policy. I have spent
>> quite a bit
>> of time documenting the conf, OSIS and osis2mod. All on the wiki. I
>> want to
>> make it easier to create modules.
>>
>> WRT tei2mod, I wrote it. Chris enhanced it. It is a rather braindead
>> program, looking for start and end of entries. One thing that it
>> does, it
>> recommends conf entries based on the module it creates. I plan to
>> change
>> osis2mod to do this later.
>>
>> The suggestion to have the "main" be separated from the code is a
>> good one.
>>
>> If someone would like to step up to it, we want to have a web based
>> module
>> creation facility.
>> Fill out a form, submit an OSIS or TEI file and get a module back.
>> Any takers?
>
> I have found great joy in coding web-based utilities of late.  I would
> be more than happy to tackle this... however, it seems that it would
> be a perfect time to have the functions pulled into the library and
> accessible via whichever wrapping language the SWORD library currently
> exposes (Is PHP or another active web language one of those options?).
> I'm also currently working on some PHP web files to manipulate
> modules in other ways, so this would be a natural outgrowth of that
> task.  I suppose, if the language used is configured properly, I can
> execute a shell command against the uploaded file, but that would be
> less than ideal from a security standpoint, though preferable from an
> execution speed vantage.
>
> Obviously I'll need lots of guidance from the experienced module
> experts and also from people deciding what language it needs to be in,
> what options it ought to take and what sort of limits should be
> imposed (max upload size, etc).
>
> Word of caution: I am as far from a graphical designer as ever there
> was, so its layout will be positively ugly and minimalistic when I get
> my hands on it.

I would help setting this up.
However I have experience and would do it in Java, JSP with some
business logic to call the executables with appropriate parameters
passed from the web page.
I think we already have a Tomcat server running?
Getting something work can be done quickly I think making it nice
looking can be done at a later stage in my opinion.

Manfred