[sword-devel] Making Import Easier

Greg Hellings greg.hellings at gmail.com
Mon Apr 6 21:00:12 MST 2009

On Mon, Apr 6, 2009 at 10:22 PM, DM Smith <dmsmith at crosswire.org> wrote:
> Matthew Talbert wrote:
>>
>> Folks, I don't appreciate this. I never intended to imply that
>> Jonathon's patches wouldn't be welcome. I was simply quoting what I
>> assumed to be CrossWire policy. "Making a high barrier of entry" is
>> mentioned quite a few times. Could someone please explain why this
>> isn't CrossWire policy? Or why people are saying it if it isn'?
>

> From my perspective, it is not CrossWire's policy. I have spent quite a bit
> of time documenting the conf, OSIS and osis2mod. All on the wiki. I want to
> make it easier to create modules.
>
> WRT tei2mod, I wrote it. Chris enhanced it. It is a rather braindead
> program, looking for start and end of entries. One thing that it does, it
> recommends conf entries based on the module it creates. I plan to change
> osis2mod to do this later.
>
> The suggestion to have the "main" be separated from the code is a good one.
>
> If someone would like to step up to it, we want to have a web based module
> creation facility.
> Fill out a form, submit an OSIS or TEI file and get a module back.
> Any takers?

I have found great joy in coding web-based utilities of late.  I would
be more than happy to tackle this... however, it seems that it would
be a perfect time to have the functions pulled into the library and
accessible via whichever wrapping language the SWORD library currently
exposes (Is PHP or another active web language one of those options?).
 I'm also currently working on some PHP web files to manipulate
modules in other ways, so this would be a natural outgrowth of that
task.  I suppose, if the language used is configured properly, I can
execute a shell command against the uploaded file, but that would be
less than ideal from a security standpoint, though preferable from an
execution speed vantage.

Obviously I'll need lots of guidance from the experienced module
experts and also from people deciding what language it needs to be in,
what options it ought to take and what sort of limits should be
imposed (max upload size, etc).

Word of caution: I am as far from a graphical designer as ever there
was, so its layout will be positively ugly and minimalistic when I get
my hands on it.

--Greg