[sword-devel] sword-devel Digest, Vol 54, Issue 14

Steven J. DeRose sderose at acm.org
Mon Sep 15 07:58:14 MST 2008

I've been catching up on the discussion re. attaching <w> info to
various translations.

Y'all may want to look at several articles by Philip Resnik, a CS
Prof at U. Maryland -- his articles are linked off his home page at
http://www.umiacs.umd.edu/~resnik/.

He's done some really cool work with extracting bilingual
dictionaries automatically by statistical analysis of translations of
the same text. Funny, when he went looking for texts available online
in many languages, he ended up working with the Bible a lot. He gets
astonishingly good results; sense-dismbiguation and everything.

I talked to him a couple months ago about what it would take to
modify his methods to be able to attach Strong's numbers (or equiv)
to words of various translations, once you have them for (say) KJV.
He thought it was quite tractable, and has some interest in looking
into it. So, y'all may want to look at his stuff and see if it helps.

If I can get him some Bibles in OSIS markup he may be able to find
time to look into it himself. Any news on the status of the Sword
module OSIS export I heard exists but needs some work?

Thanks!

Steve

Steve DeRose -- http://www.derose.net, email sderose at acm.org