[sword-devel] Flashcards Mobile

Troy A. Griffitts scribe at crosswire.org
Mon Sep 15 07:52:58 MST 2008

Hey guys.

I'm looking for some cell phone testers, J2ME (most all phones), and
also someone with an iPhone.

We have recently added a web based dynamic lesson generator for our
flashcards package.

The way it works, is that the page asks you for a range of Scripture.
It will then collate and sort all words found in the supplied range and
create flashcard lessons from these words.

The idea is that when one is having a Greek or Hebrew study group and
they know they will be reading, say Romans 4-5 next week, they can
generate vocab for just those chapters and polish their memory during
the week.  At least that is why I wanted this feature :)

Lessons are produced in 3 formats:

Mobile
iPhone Micro-Web-Based
Desktop

Here's the catch.  The generation task is fairly machine intensive, and
it might not be concurrency-safe.  I am not looking to break things in
these two ways right now.  Just looking for phone feedback.  SO PLEASE:
Pick a small Scripture range.  Don't experiment just for fun yet.  I'll
be working of stability and optimization after things are being produced
correctly.

I have no idea how the web-based app will display on any micro-browser.
  I tried to use small controls.  Right now we're not displaying the
pre-rendered images for the webapp.  I'd like to see how the iPhone does
with UTF-8 Greek and Hebrew.  If we need to, we can switch over to the
pre-rendered images.

Here's the link.  Again, please be kind to our server and be patient for
any lesson you ask to generate for more than a couple chapters.  It does
cache requests, so if you ask for the same request, it won't regenerate.

 From your phone:

crosswire.org/fc/g

Appreciate any feedback.

	-Troy.