[sword-devel] summary

jhphx jhphx at cox.net
Fri Nov 28 16:58:32 MST 2008

Matthew wrote:
> 2. The sword project should maintain sources via svn of at the very
> least the public domain resources. There is very clear community
> consensus on this point as well.

If by sources and resources you mean texts, then I have to question
this. Maybe you are right but there are some points about maintaining
texts and allowing easy editing that leads to confusion and errors. You
certainly don't want some of the shenanigans that happened at Wikipedia.
Even with safeguards to avoid those mistakes you still want people that
can follow protocol and avoid the temptation to act solely on their own
extensive knowledge and judgment without confirmation that they are in
fact right. I say this because when I was handling error reports for
texts at another project often errors which seemed obviously to be
errors were not errors and correcting them would have inserted errors
where none were before. In something like Weymouth's version of Mat
12:41 "and mark! there is One greater than Jonah here," some people will
think that "mark" should be "hark" or "behold". "Mark" does not sound
right to some ears. You could end up with a text that cycles through
errors and corrections. These may seem like minor errors but it goes to
credibility if care is not taken. Think Wikipedia. There is also the
problem of what it means to be faithful to original sources, witch can
make for differences of opinion on what is an error. Perhaps it is good
to have someone with the last word on these matters.

Also, even if these things need to be done do they need to be done under
CrossWire and The SWORD Project? I can see reasons for and against. Some
that probably shouldn't be discussed in a public forum.

All I am saying is be sure you have considered this carefully and that
you know all the issues and not just your own preferences in this.

Jerry