[sword-devel] Future MacSword

Manfred Bergmann bergmannmd at yahoo.de
Mon Mar 17 09:22:03 MST 2008

Guys. :)

Am 17.03.2008 um 17:06 schrieb Greg Hellings:

> Nathan,
>
> On Mon, Mar 17, 2008 at 10:46 AM, Nathan Youngman <junkmail at nathany.com
> > wrote:
>>
>> Hi Sébastien,
>>
>> While the iPhone only has 128 MB of RAM for running programs, I think
>> the 4-16 GB of storage space should be fine for having multiple
>> Bibles.
>> Though for simplicity of the interface, it might even be a good idea
>> to scale back to a single text.
>>
>> As far as other languages, it may make sense to release a localized
>> version of the application with the Bible text, rather than having an
>> English UI with any given Bible.
>>
>> I think downloading modules from within the program is certainly
>> possible, but it somewhat complicates the program and perhaps
>> shouldn't be an initial requirement.
>
> The hardest part of that is probably just making sure the sword
> library's wrapper links against the libraries on the iPhone for
> network access.  Actually pulling the files and maintaining them is
> likely to be rather straight-forward.  However, given that there is a
> significant limitation on both the in-memory as well as the on "disk"
> storage, an ability to maintain and delete modules is also a wise
> plan.

I'm guessing only, sorry for that.
However the network layer may look like, should be abstracted in a way
that the developer actually doesn't see a difference from the normal
Cocoa nerwork stuff.
importing <Cocoa/Cocoa.h> should be fully enough to get network going.
Using a different framework than on the full Mac OSX makes no sense to
me. And after all, the OS on iPhone still is Mac OSX.

Manfred