[sword-devel] BibleCS on wine

Chris Little chrislit at crosswire.org
Fri Jun 13 05:14:27 MST 2008

Daniel Glassey wrote:
> 2008/6/13 Chris Little <chrislit at crosswire.org>:
>> Peter von Kaehne wrote:
>>> problems I could identify are
>>>
>>> a) with RtoL - Persian is now RtoL but unligated
>> Can you try another program, such as notepad or wordpad, to see if they
>> show the same behavior. It's possible that Uniscribe isn't functioning
>> under Wine.
>>
>> Does Arabic work correctly in both of these respects?
>
> Probable rather than possible methinks ;) I don't think there is an
> implementation of uniscribe for wine apart from a stub. So it doesn't
> do any of the complex stuff like ligation.
> http://source.winehq.org/source/dlls/usp10/usp10.c
>
> However if you copy usp10.dll from windows (N.B. you probably aren't
> supposed to do that and ianal) and put it in the same dir as the app
> then BibleCS/whatever should use it. Or maybe you have to tell wine to
> use that one, I can't remember.

If we can figure out a way (at runtime) to determine that we're in Wine
rather than real Windows, preferably something from OSVERSIONINFO
(http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ms724834(VS.85).aspx), then we
can apply the UTF8arShaping filter and do the shaping manually. On the
other hand, if copying usp10.dll over works, then there might be some
interference for users who have done this--or possibly pre-shaped Arabic
would simply be ignored by Uniscribe.

--Chris