[sword-devel] Quotation mark, non-English usage?

DM Smith dmsmith555 at yahoo.com
Sun Jul 27 20:13:20 MST 2008

On Jul 27, 2008, at 9:51 PM, David (Mailing List Address) wrote:

> On Wednesday 23 July 2008 12:51:46 pm DM Smith wrote:
>> Using <q who="Jesus"> is necessary to mark the Words of Christ
>> (WoC) and
>> without it they cannot be rendered in red. There is currently a
>> change
>> that we are going to make to osis2mod to make it easier to encode
>> modules with WoC.
>
> Will it still allow for the presentation of the WoC to not be red? I
> ask
> because there is a presentation theme in BibleTime, that because of
> HIG
> recommendations for a High Contract theme to match the color scheme
> of the
> native environment red simply will not work. The highlighted verse
> is in a
> purplish background to match the selected text of KDE's high
> contract colour
> scheme. I spent a lot of time, and asked several professional
> clergy/ministerial laypeople (state director of college ministry for
> the
> Southern Baptists in KY, US) if it stood out enough that italicized
> words are
> the words of Christ in an obvious/intuitive manner.

Several of us here are trying to call it "Words of Christ" rather than
"red-letter text". The way it is marked does not imply or require that
it is in red. A front-end is free to provide any mechanism that is
reasonable to allow it to stand out.

As to italicization, that may or may not work. It depends if italics
are used for any other purpose. For example, the KJV, being an
essentially literal translation, will have "added" words marked with
<transChange type="added">...</transChange>. These are typically
italicized.

Most of the SWORD front ends are based on HTML and use CSS to do
styling. With CSS there is the possibility of end user customization
of how it would appear.

Hope that helps.

In Him,
	DM