[sword-devel] GPL and other license related questions

Chris Little chrislit at crosswire.org
Sat Jan 26 01:12:46 MST 2008

On Jan 25, 2008, at 8:52 PM, Jason Galyon wrote:

> On that subject
>
> Free as in Freedom
>
> Is Sword available under a dual license btw?  This probably has
> already
> been answered but I am failing to find it currently.

Sword and all works based on it, including all frontends, are licensed
under the GPL v. 2 only and no other license or version of the GPL.

> Some believe the GPL to be restrictive and freedom destroying.  What
> about other open source licenses like the Python license for example?
> IANAL, but before I start a project I want to make sure I have the
> freedom to develop open source as I believe is the most beneficial to
> all.  Has this been answered before?

The only people who would consider the GPL "freedom destroying" are
people who only care about their own freedoms and not those of others
(i.e. selfish people). I don't think we care about their interests. We
certainly don't have any interest in having our work exploited by the
selfish, who would like to exploit our years of work for their own
personal, possibly monetary, gain.

--Chris